COUNTDOWN TO SUMMER! Your Grit guide to Charleston's golden season
MONDAY: Summertime Dos & Don'ts
TUESDAY: The Best of Poolside
WEDNESDAY: Get Your Grill On
THURSDAY: Your Guide to Summer Music
You know the feeling: THAT song comes on the radio, you kill the AC and roll down those windows, and there it is: summertime.
To celebrate that feeling, we've rounded up the must-see shows, the must-visit venues, and the must-download-now jams for the summer. To add some street cred to our roundup, scattered throughout are opinions from Grit's resident music pros, Tim and Devin. Look out for their stellar reviews throughout the summer, and hey, let us know if we missed any you're planning to see.
The Best-Bet Shows:
Spoleto USA (5/24-6/9)
The Lumineers at the Family Circle Stadium (6/14)
Cyndi Lauper at the North Charleston Coliseum (7/3)
Sol Driven Train at the Windjammer for the Sol Slam (7/19 & 7/20)
The Killers at the Family Circle Stadium (8/13)
Fun. at the Family Circle Stadium (9/24)
Celebration of Life at Awendaw Green, featuring Nick Collins (5/26)
Hazel Hang at the Windjammer, featuring Sister Hazel (6/1 & 6/2)
Face to Face at the Music Farm (6/3)
Edwin McCain with Emily Hearn at the Windjammer (7/3)
Jason Isbell + Widowspeak and Tim Easton at the Pour House (7/5)
Steely Dan at the North Charleston Coliseum (9/15)
The Best-Bet Venues for Live Music this Summer:
1. If you're looking to see a big name...
The Family Circle Stadium on Daniel Island. "Ever since they started doing concerts at the Family Circle Stadium I feel like Charleston finally has what it was missing for decades; a great outdoor concert venue." —Devin
2. If you're looking for a family-friendly atmosphere and up-and-coming local acts...
Awendaw Green in Awendaw. "Any Wednesday is going to feature solid music at Eddie’s backyard stage. BYOB to any of these Barn Jams, and relax at what is continuing to become a must-plan date on many upcoming acoustic artists’ calendars." —Tim
3. If you want to soak up views of the ocean and play beach volleyball while you listen to live music...
The Windjammer on Isle of Palms.
4. If you want to score sweet drink deals and enjoy a back-porch vibe...
The Pour House on Johns Island. "From the main room to the patio, you can get a few different vibes in one night. They book well, so just about any night I’d go there, I am likely to see something worth the cover." —Tim
The Grit Team's Summer Playlist:
1. “Summertime” by DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince (Rory's pick)
2. "Cold Beverage" by G. Love (Rory's pick)
3. “Get Lucky” by Daft Punk, featuring Pharrell Williams (Joe's Pick, as well as Devin Grant’s!)
4. "I Like Your Music" by Deadmau5 (Joe's pick)
5. “Can’t Hold Us” by Macklemore (Rachel's pick)
6. “Barefoot Blue Jean Night” by Jake Owen (Rachel's pick)
7. “Blurred Lines” by Robin Thicke, featuring T.I. & Pharrell (Molly's pick)
SUMMER MUST-HAVES: The Toy
Be a badass by strolling up to the beach (or the pool, or the cookout, or the kickball game) with one of these babies.
"Bosch Deluxe Power Box Jobsite Radio/Charger" ($214) from Lowe's.