Here is a list of Charleston Southern dishes that will make your Thanksgiving meal even tastier. All meal suggestions are inspired by Southern Biscuits by Nathalie Dupree and Cynthia Graubart.
1. Southern Biscuits - What’s more southern than a buttermilk biscuit! The Charleston biscuit is a mouthwatering dish that everyone should have at their Thanksgiving dinner table. It is a perfect food to dip in jam, butter, or gravy!
2. Cauliflower Mac and Cheese - For the people at the table that don’t eat meat, there is cauliflower mac and cheese! This is an amazing entrée for people who are vegetarian or just want a side of something cheesy with their turkey... without all the carbs of pasta.
3. Tomato Pie - Another southern classic and one that can be eaten at any time of day. Is it a brunch food, a side, or a meal by itself? Whatever it means to you and your family, it is something different and fun! Add new flavors to your table by incorporating a tomato-cheese-mayonnaise dish that is sure to please. Bonus points if you make the pie crust from scratch.
4. Creamed Corn - The perfect side dish to accompany any meal, but especially the turkey day meal. And, it's fun for every member of the family... even those without all of their teeth. We're looking at you Grampa Joe and Baby Rose. All those bland, neutral tones are deceiving because creamed corn is sweet, crunchy, and full of flavor.
5. Brussels Sprouts with Lemon Pangritata - Need a dish that's hearty, but not full of fat? A healthy but yummy southern treat to add to your plate is brussels sprouts! Brussel sprouts are one of the healthiest things and will look beautiful on your Thanksgiving table.
6. Roasted Garlic and Parmesan Potatoes - Add a dash of something different to your classic mashed potatoes this year by roasting the spuds and incorporating new layers of flavor.
7. The Stuffing and Giblet Gravy - Added butter means added taste in this Southern-style stuffing and gravy. It's a classic and expected, but so far from basic.
8. Turkey - Don't forget about the star of the show. Whether you brine it and smoke it or butter it and bake it, the turkey is the centerpiece of the whole holiday.
9. Pumpkin Pie - No meal is complete without dessert. Finish your meal with a tasty pumpkin pie, and don't forget to add the whipped cream.