Cheesy Halloween Appetizer
Halloween is one of my favorite holidays. As a child, my brother and I would dress up every year and go to the Halloween carnival at school and later go trick or treating in the neighborhood with our cousins. We would then come home and separate out the candy and trade with each other...and by "trade" I mean fight over it. Maybe it's because I associate Halloween with these fond memories growing up that I enjoy it so much. Now, Halloween for us is more about making festive dishes and spiked punches, and less knocking on front doors, although I do wish I could still do that.
Today, I’m sharing a super easy recipe for a Halloween-inspired cheese ball that makes a great appetizer, perfect for all of the upcoming parties at the end of this month!
Halloween Ham & Cheese Ball
(Adapted from Flying on Jess Fuel)
- 2 (8oz) packages of cream cheese
- 2 cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 5 slices of deli ham or bacon (any kind will work)
- 1 (3 3/8oz) bag of nacho cheese Doritos
- 1 stem of a green bell pepper
- garlic powder to taste
- flatbread crisps (or cracker of choice)
1. Place both packages of cream cheese in a microwave safe bowl. Warm for just a few seconds, just enough to soften, making it easier to manage. (Do not over heat.)
2. Add the softened cream cheese to your food processor along with the shredded cheese.
3. Dice the ham (or bacon) into small chunks and add in the food processor, adjusting the amount of meat to your preference.
4. Add a teaspoon or so of garlic powder to the mixture and blend until mixed well.
5. Scrape the mixture out of the processor onto a cutting board and form a round ball. Wrap up the ball well in saran wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
6. Remove the cheese ball from the refrigerator just before serving. Keeping the Doritos in the bag, crush them up into tiny pieces. Pour them onto a plate and roll the cheese ball around, coating the entire ball.
7. Cut them stem off of the bell pepper and place it on top of the cheese ball.
Serve with the flatbread crisps or the cracker of your choice!