You are here
The Blog of the Week is... Is Freedom Really This Complicated? by Renae Brabham. If you haven't read it yet—about the divisions in our country, highlighted again this week by the aftermath of the George Zimmerman/Trayvon Martin case—it's worth your time.
Here's Renae's bottom line, both literally and figuratively:
"I don't have to march in a parade, hold a protest sign, or buy a bumper sticker. I simply treat you as I would any member of our human race. Silence is not weakness. Speeches, parades, concerts are all aftermath of what should begin in the quiet recesses of the heart. Usually beginning with truth."
At Grit, we're thinking a lot of folks may embrace the weekend ahead as a breather. A break from news (as the above blog alludes to), or the heat (as Jesus Be a Raindrop alluded to... quite directly... and vehemently... and with a good degree of conviction—we're still dabbing the tears from our eyes), or just a break, plain and simple.
If that's you, here are our ideas.
1. For a laugh, watch this entire series. I think there's six or seven episodes, all less than three minutes each.
2. For delicious heat relief, make this ice cream cake (thanks, Martha)
3. For some perspective, refer to this quote.
"If all misfortunes were laid in one common heap, whence everyone must take an equal portion, most people would be contented to take their own and depart." —Socrates
4. For an adventure, go shark hunting on Sullivan's.
Photo by Tyler Jones; Wednesday, July 17, Station 18, Sullivan's
5. And for more ideas, music, hilarity, and homegrown wisdom, come back to Grit next week. We'll have plenty more!
Previous Blogs By This Author
Posted: 3 years 3 days ago
Posted: 1 year 11 months ago
Posted: 3 years 9 months ago